Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This is your brain on acronyms


I started Indoctrination classes yesterday.  Over the next three weeks I'll move to various classrooms learning ship communications, damage control, CPR, first aid, firefighting, and more.  These are the crucial first steps towards earning the coveted (and now required) surface and air warfare qualifications.

I was immediately stunned by the number of acronyms dropped by the instructors.  Many in the class were already petty officers coming from different duty stations.  It was review for them.  It was NOT for me.  I had to be "that question guy" in order to keep up.

Here's a sample:

MRC, PMS, LOEP, PMR, MP, 3-M, TGL, EGL, TVM, CMS, MSDS, HMVG, PPE, ESOMS, OMMS, WSS, FR, MIP, TYCOM, UIC, NIR, NMR, LATD, SMS, RCM, FMCOV, WTH, FPL, COV, CW, JP-5, AFFF, CCOL, DCA

This is two days (out of three weeks) worth of classes.  Half days really...

We were tested the same day (ten failed) and did well with a 92%.  Not bad considering the first hour was like a scene from Men In Black 2.  You'll have no trouble figuring out which role I play.

Watch now!

No comments:

Post a Comment