Monday, October 18, 2010

Nimitz, the power of one

Plastic sheets hanging in hangar bay three will catch fire suppressant spraying from the ceiling during an INSURV test. 
I shot an AFFF demo that utilized hoses and this ceiling system.

Recently the USS Nimitz absolutely crushed its INSURV, or Inspection Survey.  Over one hundred inspectors came aboard for one week to check every area of the ship of ensure sea readiness.  The crew had been preparing for this long before I arrived, and it all paid off in high marks from the inspection teams.  Many of the inspectors said they'd never seen such energy, focus, and skill.

The media department created training videos with the Nimitz's executive officer, called XO's Hour of Power, that highlighted areas that needed work.  These videos were played through the ship's television station to get the message out to the entire crew.  (we were the first to do this)

As the inspectors arrived, a high energy video played on a big screen showing everything the Sailors had done to prepare.  This helped to create a tone that would carry into the week and blow the inspectors away.

The USS Nimitz is now the ship to emulate.

Some of you have expressed interest in what I'm doing as an MC.  Arriving during INSURV meant I didn't do much MC related.  My work consisted of helping to get the ship ready for inspection.  (clean, take out every type of trash imaginable, label electrical gear)


I wasn't alone.  Everyone around me was doing "unique" stuff.  Here the media guys secure a box full of gear to get it sea-ready.  I don't know what Cotter's doing.


I saw AC2 Derse eating lunch one day before INSURV, and asked if I could take her photo.  She was covered in paint but still smiling.  I asked what her job was, and she responded "air traffic controller".


MCSN Siniff, a photographer, volunteered to leave the media center to help paint.  They worked him pretty hard.  Good on ya!


YN3 Nguyen is our department's Yeoman.  Usually he works with...paper.  During INSURV prep he helped cut wire to tie boxes down.  Looks professional doesn't he?

And that leads into what I've noticed from my short time here.  Look, I realize that there are far more uncomfortable places a servicemember could live.  But it's a lifestyle that wears people out.  I see it everywhere.

What stands out to me are the little positive acts coming from others.  It's the guys/gals working way out of their comfort zone to get a job done.  It's the random Sailor helping someone they don't know carry a cabinet up the stairs.  Or it's a friendly grin from an officer before I'm awake enough to return it.

I choose to amplify these experiences, and draw strength from knowing that my shipmates are all in it with me.  They're getting it done, and so will I.


I'll get some more shots of where I work.  Here, the XO hosts Hour of Power while Wolfe works on another video project. 


I've been asked to show a longer shot of the berthing.  It's too tight in here to get any wider.  I hope this gives you a better idea of where I sleep.  And I hope it makes you love your bed!

MARTY WATCH

Okay, in a recent post I said my buddy Marty was heading out to dive school as part of his Combat Camera training.  He'll be there a few weeks, and I'll be posting updates as he gives them to me.  It's motivation for him, and entertainment for us!

The first morning he was welcomed with 3 hours of physical training.  From 6am to 9am his class of about 20 got the crap beat out of them.  I remember words like "sand run", "bay swim", "750 burpees", and "I can't feel my body".  Their days run from 4:30am to about 8pm.  Much of their time is spent in classes learning all about cool dive stuff.  And yes, there's homework.

Three have dropped out already.

Let's hear some support!

1 comment:

  1. lol, "Marty Watch" thats awesome Brooks. Week two is done, starting Monday is pool week, which is all "confidence training". It'll be the first time we actually get to use scuba tanks, but the instructors will impose "problems" while we're diving. Check this video out to see what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIU_2B5PVvk More to come later!

    ReplyDelete