Sunday, November 3, 2013

Syracuse U: Learning to be a reporter



This is our "event" reporting assignment.  I am showing you this because I believe it's valuable information for prospective Sailor-students, not because I think it's very good.  I haven't figured out this news thing, and I'm trying to detach from my documentary mentality.

My shooting partner is MC1 Sean Spratt, one of the four video students I am studying with.  We change partners every week, as per instructor orders.

Smiling as he says:  "What the hell are you doing?"


Speaking of.... this is our news reporting instructor.  His name is John Nicholson, he's worked with ESPN, USA Network, and much more.  Also, for better or worse, his personality is as big as it looks in the photo.  His class is laid back, but full of nuggets of solid gold. (interview techniques is huge!)

SURVIVAL TIP:  Listen when he tells his anecdotes, there's usually a lesson in there.

Here's a sample of his work:  WSTM Channel 3 News


No comments:

Post a Comment