Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On the mend

On the ferry from Whidbey Island.


I've had a...cold...relationship with the ferry system here.  I'm right across the water from Seattle, and I haven't taken the ride over to visit.  Why?  I'm annoyed by ferries.  I don't like the schedule, the fees, and the fact that no one has figured out how to build a bridge over the Puget Sound.

Is it a rational, mature relationship?  Moving on...

I recently covered an Iron Chef competition at Whidbey Island.  It was a lot of fun to shoot video of the chaotic and beautiful motion that is competitive team cooking.  But more importantly:

I had to ride a ferry back.  


Washington State Ferries by Stephen J. Brown


While most passengers lounged in the warmth of the ship's interior, I stood on the bow, staring in googly-eyed wonder at the landscape.  There may be hope for this relationship after all. 

2 comments:

  1. Brooks, at home, in San Diego, I ride my bike to the ferry and take it across the San Diego Bay into Coronado/North Island. It's free during the morning hours with a ticket for a free ride back in the afternoon. It takes fifteen minutes each way, but I always take a book to read, or just relax and watch the scenery go by. It is great after a long day to just kick back, relax and let someone else drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, if only it'd stop raining long enough to go outside.

    ReplyDelete