Saturday, September 10, 2011

We will never forget

Our Chief Petty Officer Selects conducted the ceremony. The bell was rung in remembrance of each attack.  The World Trade Center I-beam is one of three donated to the U.S. military by the citizens of Breezy Point, New York.  Photo by MC3 Shayne Johnson.

Tomorrow is the tenth anniversary of one of the worst days in American history.  It was a day of horror and unimaginable pain.  But that wasn't the end of this story.  From the destruction rose the indomitable spirit that makes us so proud to be Americans.

Some folks think that because MCs carry cameras around, they must be having fun all the time.  Not really.  This job is not easy.  It's long hours and tight deadlines.  And it's really important.  Why?  Because we tell the stories that need to be told.  They are unfolding around us every day.  This weekend, they are stories that remember our fallen, and honor our heroes.

We just finished a video that played during the Nimitz remembrance ceremony.  The interviews you'll see weren't finished until Thursday morning.  That gave us part of one day, Thursday, to complete it.  MC3 Berumen and I worked nonstop, from late Thursday morning to Friday morning.  She pulled the photos, and together we chose what soundbites to use from the interviewees.  While I edited the piece, she created the music.

 Remembering 9/11



USS Nimitz Sailors attend a 9/11 Tenth Anniversary Remembrance Ceremony in the forecastle of USS Nimitz on Sept. 9, 2011. Photo by MC3 Class Shayne Johnson.

2 comments:

  1. Great video Brooks. Where were you that day? I'll always remember the moment. I was at Valparaiso and woke up late for a test. I was running to class and saw my neighbor, Casey, running back to the dorms and I asked, "is the test cancelled?" He said, "No, I forgot my books." (It was an opened book test and everyone was partying the night before.) Got to class (and so did Casey) and our Prof. who was never late walked in and said go home. He didn't elaborate. (Later we found out he had family in the Twin Towers). I got to the dorm and saw what was going on and woke my roommate up to see the 2nd plane hit and then the Towers collapse. We then headed to the radio station (where we worked as DJs and sports broadcasters) to give the campus updates for the next 36 hours. It was heartbreaking, crazy and amazing at the same time. I'll never forget it. I've said it before but, again...Thanks for serving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, my story is similar to yours. I was studying Electronic Media and Film and Towson University. Woke up, turned on the TV, saw the second one hit, and immediately called one of my fraternity brothers. Many of us gathered at his house and watched things unfold.

    The guy who owned that television wrote me on Facebook on Saturday and said, "weren't you over my place watching during 9/11?" I hadn't conversed with this guy for years.

    So you were on the radio talking to a college campus during this? I bet that's something you'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete