Saturday, September 11, 2010

Welcome to Coronado Island

The view of the Pacific made me drop my bags in awe.

I've arrived at my new duty station, on Naval Base Coronado!  Fort Meade seems light years away right now.  Being on a huge Navy base for the first time is pretty cool.  (The gate guards are wearing NWUs!) 

I told the students to be reliable and treat their word as a valuable asset.

I gave the DINFOS students a final talk before I left.  They gave me a nice "awwwww" when I told them I was leaving the next day.  That was sweet.  My mother took photos and told Lieutenant Commander Cummings she was my press agent.

Votaw drove me onto Naval Base Coronado and past some great scenery.

My first piece of advice on transitioning to your first permanent duty station:

Have a shipmate who knows the area pick you up at the airport and show you around. 

Petty Officer 3rd Class Steve Votaw is an MC who showed me how to be a good section leader at Fort Meade.  He picked me up and took me on a tour of San Diego.  It was a true VIP experience.

My cheap camera is extremely homesick and refuses to focus but I feel good.  I'm still getting my bearings but will post more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment