Thursday, July 8, 2010

Filming in a frying pan

Three friends play "who has the prettiest nails?"

I wish my Soldier classmates had made a sun instead of a star.  That would've lead nicely into what I'm about to say.

It's hot.

I know, it's not Iraq hot, and I actually don't mind heat.  I'd rather have hot than cold ANY day.  But man it's warm...and humid.  I was in FL for 5 years and it wasn't close to this.  But then again, I was in shorts and a t-shirt 90% of the time.

The locker room fills up fast once the class is released to shoot.

We stow our camera equipment in individual locked lockers down the hall from the classroom.  Here the Soldiers enjoy their last moments of A/C before heading outside.  They aren't allowed to roll their sleeves up.  Commence sizzling.

 Corporal Elorza practices zooming while his subject practices living in an oven.

Many choose to shoot outside.  You've got to be efficient, though.  No one in your group wants to stand around wearing hot uniforms while you figure out how to white balance the camera.  I should also say, we're allowed to remove covers to shoot.  It's tough learning to look through a viewfinder with the brim of your hat in the way.


Trees are our friends!

When I shoot outside, I go straight for this tree.  I make sure I'm done by the time the sun rises high enough to kill that shadow.  That's DINFOS in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment