Sunday, March 7, 2010

DVD authoring at light speed

Bilderback leads the charge with Encore. Photo by SR Cory Asato.

The final stop on the EJC train is DVD authoring. When you pop a DVD in your player a menu comes up. On that menu are buttons like "Play Movie" or "Extras". We're learning to create all that using Adobe Encore. Actually, we already learned it. And about as fast as it took me to type this. When I was in college I taught myself a similar program called DVD Studio Pro. "Fun" and "quick" aren't words that come to mind. So far, we've used Adobe Photoshop, Bridge, InDesign, and Premier. Jumping to Encore was fairly painless because we were already familiar with Adobe software. The friendly interfaces work like we expect them to. In other words, the programs are very intuitive. We also learned how to translate our video projects into various forms for distribution. For example, an officer wants to be able to store and play my detachment tour on his computer. I can make him a copy as a Quicktime, Windows Media Player, or any file that suits the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment